Do you want to become a successful bartender in London?
If you wish to become a successful bartender in London you must have an in depth knowledge of some basic drinks. You must know their names and how to make them. At any job interview the bar manager or owner will expect you to be proficient in them. We have already discussed some popular highball drinks. Today let us talk about lowball drinks.
There are various types of glasses used to serve cocktails and mixed drinks. Most popular are the tall highball glasses and the squat lowball glasses. Lowball glasses are normally used to serve neat spirits or those served on the rocks.
Many of the drinks are similar; their difference lying in the change of a single ingredient. Some of these can also be shaken and served in a cocktail glass. Some popular lowball drinks are
- Americano: A truly classic cocktail made popular by American tourists in Italy during the 19th century. It has sweet vermouth added to the slightly bitter Campari, topped with soda water.
- Negroni: If you add gin to an Americano it becomes a Negroni. It can also be shaken and served in a cocktail glass with a twist of lime.
- Black Russian: This is a drink that every bartender must know. It is a combination of vodka and coffee liqueur served on rocks. You can experiment with the different vodkas and the various types of coffee liqueur, like Kahlua, Tia Maria etc.
- White Russian: When cream is added to a Black Russian, it becomes a White Russian. If you gently float the cream on the alcohol, the drink not only looks amazing, it is an opportunity for you to show off your bartending skills.
- Brave Bull: This is a tequila version of the Black Russian. If you mix cream or milk it becomes a Dirty Bird.
- Dirty Mother: When the vodka of Black Russian is replaced with brandy it becomes a Dirty Mother and if milk or cream is added it is called a Dirty White Mother
- Colorado Bulldog: When a White Russian has equal parts of cream and cola it is called a Colorado Bulldog. Flavoured vodka can also be used in this cocktail.
- Mudslide: This drink is extremely popular and very close to the White Russian. Here the cream is replaced with Irish cream liqueur. Kahlua is the most commonly used coffee liqueur and Bailey’s the Irish cream, but alternatives to these are not a problem. It can also be made without the vodka.
- Pearl Harbour: A delightful drink that has the looks and tastes of the tropics, Pearl Harbour is a cocktail every bartender must know. It combines vodka, the subtle flavoured melon liqueur and pineapple juice.
- Sombrero: Coffee brandy or even Kahlua can be enjoyed with milk or cream in this drink. It is a great after dinner cocktail
- Stinger: This is an extremely tasty dessert cocktail and pairs very well with chocolate desserts. It is an interesting mix of brandy and crème de menthe.
There are many more lowball cocktails that a successful bartender in London must master.
Enroll in any of the best bartending schools in UK to learn them and memorize them so that when you go for an interview you can impress the bar manager or the owner.